How to get a home survey if you’re
relocating to a new area

Moving to a new house in a different area can be a particularly exciting – and scary – time. Leaving everything we know behind isn’t easy for anyone, but when it also involves a far-from-insignificant property investment, stress levels might increase even further.

We know that moving house always comes with tension. A great step to ease your worries is through the reassurance that a RICS home survey provides, giving you confidence that the building you’re purchasing is of good value and in excellent condition.

In this article, we’ll discuss getting a home survey after you’ve relocated to a new area. We’ll also explain what type of RICS surveys are available and how to instruct the right chartered surveyor for you.

How do I find a chartered surveyor in the UK?

The term ‘chartered surveyor’ is protected by law in the UK. To call themselves a chartered surveyor, an individual must be registered with RICS – the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. This is the governing body for all surveying, both residential and commercial.

A quick look online or in the local newspapers, magazines and directories should throw up several suggestions of chartered surveyors in your area.

If possible, always try to find a chartered surveyor operating out of the area you’re thinking of moving to. Alternatively, find a business that has conducted several previous surveys in the region. These organisations will naturally have a more accurate understanding of the local market.

How does a home survey help when moving to a new area?

Moving house comes with unknowns of its own – even if it’s just down the road. Moving to a new area on top of that introduces even more of them.

A home survey helps remove some of the stress involved with moving house. It provides you with reassurance that the property is in good condition and worth what you’ve offered. As well as inspecting the home, a chartered surveyor will check out the neighbourhood since this affects a property’s value.

During a RICS home survey, a chartered surveyor will travel out to the property in question. This usually happens after you’ve submitted an initial offer (to officially register your interest) but long before the keys get exchanged. They’ll then conduct a specific type of inspection, depending on the type of survey you’ve asked for.

You’ll receive a report within a maximum of a couple of weeks detailing their findings and recommendations. From then, you’re welcome to meet with the chartered surveyor and chat through their observations, including how risky – or not – they feel the home is.

What types of RICS home surveys are available?

There are three common types of home survey:

  • Valuation – a valuation is simply a market value estimate. It considers the property’s age, condition, location, and more aspects. Valuations are generally for your personal use, and mortgage companies usually like to perform their own independent inspections.
  • Home Survey Level 2 – a RICS Home Survey Level 2 is a more detailed inspection of the house’s condition and includes a valuation. The chartered surveyor will closely look at the home, from top to bottom, including seldom-looked at spots like the roof and ceilings/floors. It’s appropriate for well-maintained, recently built homes made with standard materials.
  • Home Survey Level 3 – the Level 3 home survey is the most in-depth one available. It goes into substantially more detail on the structural integrity. We’d recommend a RICS Level 3 survey if the building is older (Victorian or earlier), clearly in poor condition, located in a high-risk area, or just for general reassurance.

If you’re unsure what type of RICS home survey would be best for you, please don’t be afraid to contact us to chat about your needs in more detail. We’re always happy to help, commitment-free!

How can GB Home Surveys help?

GB Home Surveys is a rapidly-expanding team of qualified, highly experienced chartered surveyors. We’re all registered RICS members, and we’re confident we know what we’re talking about regarding property.

Currently, we have offices across Bath and Bristol, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, the Cotswolds, Taunton, North Somerset and the West Midlands. As such, we’re always excited to help anyone move house in these areas.

Are you moving to a new area? Getting a home survey from a trusted chartered surveyor can really help make things easier on you. To get in touch with us about instructing a surveyor, you’d be welcome to drop us an email at contact@gbhomesurveys.co.uk or call us on 03333 600 685. We look forward to hearing from you!

Looking for a quote, or maybe you have a question? Get in touch today.

GB Home Surveys
4 High Street
Gloucestershire GL18 1AN

Registered in England: 02702789
Copyright © 2022 GB Home Surveys   |   Site by QBD